Friday, July 8, 2011

Strawberry picking at the Giamarese farm and jam making, from my notes...

TUESDAY JUNE 7, 2011

I went to pick strawberries at the Giamarese farm in East Brunswick and I picked 14.7 pounds of really ripe berries. The day was so hot the berries had a hot juicy taste.
When I got home, I put them in the fridge and made preparations to make jam.
The ripest ones were washed weighed and trimmed. This first batch was 3 qts at 4-1/2 pounds, and the recipe was for 3 lbs.
The jam boiled up and tested for weak jelling but I jarred it. The leftover sample firmed up well in the fridge, however jam in the jars is still quite loose.
Possible remedies: more lemon juice, more pectin or more sugar, a smaller quantity of berries or all of the above. Taste is excellent !  Yield : 7 twelve-ounce jars.
The Giamarese ( jam- a- rees) farm is a family owned farm located in East Brunswick NJ since 1930. It's not too far to drive from Edison. Here is their website. It's a pretty farm, with a pond and swans, and a farm store which sells their produce and manages the pick-your-own customers.
 www.giamaresefarm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment